Sunday, September 2, 2007

Why Rwanda?

Immaculee with her friend and manager Tim Van Damm
at The Serena Hotel.


Seeing Immaculee on the PBS broadcast. Reading her compelling story. Feeling like I know her a little… as much as one can know another person by reading their written words. More admiration than I remember feeling toward anyone. Hero worship? Yes, I guess so. Wishing that I could know her, have a conversation with her, get inside her mind, reach some insight into her brilliance, her light. How can someone overcome so much? How can someone learn to forgive so much?

Being profoundly moved by Left to Tell. Life changing, really. Critical time in my spiritual walk. Never thinking that I would ever cross paths with Immaculee. Realizing what a powerful teacher she is. Thinking that I might see her again on TV or wishing that she would write or publish again. Never imagining that we would meet. But in the back of my mind hoping so.

I was more than a little scared when the opportunity arose to go to Rwanda. Cindy Charles asking me at a school function. A little relieved to say no thanks. Heidi saying yes, that we could free up some resources and that it would be the trip of a lifetime. Trusting that it would be OK. Discovering that the copy of my birth certificate wouldn’t do. Tracking that down. Applying for a passport. Hoping that it would come through in time. Immunizations.







Brandon and Cindy Charles, my good
friends and co-adventurers





Rereading Left to Tell. Reading A Long Way Gone (Ref.) and The Bishop of Rwanda. Reminded of how average I am. As a human. As a citizen of the world. Living in a nation where selfishness and self-absorption are normal. Isolated from real news, from so many real people in real places. Real pain, real laughter, real tears, real joy.

No comments: