Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Praying



The shrine at Kibeho

As I knelt there thinking of what in my life I really wish for I couldn’t think of anything for myself. Nothing. Here in Rwanda I have seen poverty that is almost unimaginable in the US. I have heard stories and seen evidence of the genocide – madness beyond comprehension. What do I wish for in my life? What could I possibly be lacking?

So… My prayers became those of gratitude. I thought of Devin and Colin and our wonderful home in the woods, Sasha, our school, friends and family, our church, which now means so much to us. I thought of you, Heidi. You. More than anything or anyone the biggest blessing in my life has always been you. Your light in my life is God. So I prayed with every fiber of myself to be thankful for you and for all the many rich blessings in our lives. My prayers of petition were for Rwanda. Rwanda has been through so much. I prayed that the peace and comfort that I have experienced could become part of these wonderful people’s lives. I prayed that Americans and privileged people all over could see the strength and power that comes through forgiveness. I prayed that the privileged few who have so much could share and learn from these beautiful people, this wonderful country.

We left that holy place and I remembered that I had left my sunglasses inside. I went back to that room by myself and looked at the inexpensive plastic floor covering, the peeling plastic forming the cross on the windows, the spider webs in the screens and the paint peeling from the walls and I understood that the decorations didn’t mean a thing. It’s all about the presence of God. In that most humble place there was God. I’m not saying that I know all about God. But in that room, it didn’t matter what I was wearing, how my hair was cut, if my jeans had a hole in them. It doesn’t matter if my church has a stain in the carpet, or if there are fresh flowers up front every week. It doesn’t matter if we have expensive monitors showing the words to every song or a sound system that is extraordinary. It doesn’t matter if a child cries during the service or the pastor wears a suit and tie. And if I sing off key, don’t get a chance to shower before church, it doesn’t matter. If I understand anything about God’s message it is that we can be the people we want to be. We can be people who make a positive difference on this planet. We are here to be protectors and stewards and builders. We are here to learn and to teach about what is possible. We are here to help others in all the ways we can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And these are the reasons it was important for you to go to Rwanda. Thank you for going and for writing about your experience.