Sunday, September 2, 2007

Becoming a Little More Awake


Midori Graham - "the bravest of us," Cindy said.


At 50 years old I am just beginning to wake up. I read the news. I understand most of what I read. I listen to Public Radio and The BBC. I read op-ed pieces written by the brilliant and the brave. I read them with my designer coffee and my beautiful woods. I read them with my sleepy boys and my beautiful and brilliant wife. I read them on the porch when the weather is lovely and in my house with the heat in the winter and the airconditioning in the summer when it is too hot.

I get outraged. But what do I do? I vote. Does it really make a difference? I argue – but even that is subdued. I don’t really talk about politics with friends. People are easily insulted. Feelings are hurt.

I read and I listen and I converse and I whine and get angry – but not too angry. Not angry enough to do anything. Then reading Immaculee, then Cindy asked me if I wanted to go, then I read The Bishop of Rwanda, then Heidi agreed.

No comments: