Sunday, September 2, 2007

Paris Hilton



Sunrise in Kigali



What I learned about the Rwandan Genocide I discovered only recently. On my own. These remarkable books, the internet. Why do I know so much about Paris Hilton? I avoid it. Still I know too much about her. Why don’t we know more about the genocide? The Sudan? The Democratic Republic of Congo? Is it because they are far away? Because we have no “strategic interest” in the region? Because they have no resources in the ground that we need? Is it because they are black? Poor?

One million one hundred seventeen thousand deaths during the Rwandan genocide. So far. And we watched. We did nothing. The Clinton Administration spoke of “genocidal acts” but couldn’t bring themselves to use the G-word. Civil war. Internal affair. Tribal warfare.

Heidi Mills, my greatest blessing.

When I take out pictures of my beautiful family I know one reason why I am here… to appreciate the rich blessings of my life. So many people lost so much. Right now with this picture of Heidi (you – Heidi) in my hand and our boys in my heart I am the richest man on earth. It’s selfish. But that’s one reason I am here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right I am ashamed to know more about Paris Hilton and Brittany Spears than the brave people of Rwanda who survived this genocide. Or the Rwandans who did not survive. Thank you for putting this into words for me. Ruthie