Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Kibeho to Kigali






The trip to Kibeho (the shrine to Mary) was a wonderful taste of the countryside. Most of the houses are made of materials from the land. Most are very simply made. The frames of the houses are slender trees or bamboo with the branches knocked off. Woven across are branches and covering all of that is mud. I think it hardens in the sun. There were a few thatched roofs and many made from corrugated metal or earthen tiles. Many window spaces with no glass. Lots of doorways have no doors. The houses in the country are very tiny, smaller than our living room. No electricity. When we were riding back it was close to dark when we left Kibeho. We drove at least two hours in total darkness. Not a single light from a house. I didn’t even see candlelight, although it may have been there. No streetlights.

The highway (video - Country of thousand and one hills!) had two lanes and people walked up and down the sides all day long. So many people carry bundles balanced on their heads. Firewood, building materials, straw, reeds, baskets, bags of produce (some of these were HUGE), large bunches of bananas, jugs of water, etc. I have never seen one fall.

The driving here is intense. There is constant passing on blind curves, tailgating, driving on the wrong side of the road. Honking, flashing of lights, swerving, perpetual near collisions. In the city the driving is brutal. People drive so close, even at high speeds, and cars often nudge each other as they push into traffic.

So tired now. I’ve been waking up around 5:30 or 6:00 every day and having a hard time staying up past midnight or so. Sleep is restless. I can’t really explain what I am feeling over the phone and when I read this over is seems scattered and self-serving. I hope in some real way you know how much I love and miss you. I’ve memorized every smile line and freckle on your face from the pictures I brought. When I am alone I fall into those pictures. I can almost feel you – almost taste you. Sometimes when I look into your eyes I am breathing air you have breathed.

No comments: