Sunday, September 2, 2007

Why Did I Come?



Saturday 6/29/07 6:40 AM

Personal retreat. Why Rwanda? Why not St. Christopher’s Retreat Center? The Lake Michigan sand dunes? Yellowwood Forest in Bloomington, Indiana? Why Rwanda? Imaculee? Cindy? Heidi? Advenure? Fellowship? New friends?

Is it because of the history of this place? The madness? The sadness? Holocaust. Genocide? Innocence? Innocence lost?

Immaculee and Bishop John said that there is so much goodness in Rwanda. Forgiveness. Grace. There must be magic there. There must be God. Love. Maybe I came to find God.

My biological clock has me at about 1:00 in the morning but it’s already well past dawn down here. I might have dozed for about ten or fifteen minutes last night. One little dream. Immaculee. Skinny. Skin and bones really. Her hair fallen out. In this little dream she was filthy and ashy. Just the opposite of what she looks like now. She is elegant and shiny and dark, her hair long and curled. In my dream her eyes were filmy and sunken. And she was crying.

No comments: