Saturday, December 1, 2007

Writing to You

Sunrise in Akagera


It’s funny. I don’t think I’ve ever NOT read so much for two weeks. I did read the local paper a couple of times as well as the booklets from the Memorial, but nothing in a book. Instead, for these two weeks, writing has taken up that space for me. I couldn’t write much yesterday (except for the little red notebook) and I missed it. Mostly, because it is a way for me to communicate with you, Heidi. I don’t know if you’ll ever get this far in this little composition notebook, but if you do I want you to know that when I sit down to write this, it is as if I am speaking to you. All these late evenings and very early mornings while you were half a world away – warm in the comfort of our boys and our lovely spot on earth – I have been with you through this trip and this little notebook. If you get this far, know that I have been looking into your beautiful eyes in these pictures I have with me and I have never loved you harder, held you closer to my heart. It took a lot of trust and love for you to free up our resources. It’s been tough in a lot of ways but a learning and growing experience like no other. I am forever grateful. I can’t tell you how much I love you.

No comments: