Monday, November 12, 2007

The Old Woman at Sonrise





Getting together with the children at Sonrise.




At 4:00 we went back to Sonrise. As soon as we got there we divided up into groups again and began working and playing with the kids. Cindy and I worked/played with the same group of kids as yesterday. We did some of the same praise and worship songs and dances with great participation. You wouldn’t believe the harmonies and, again, how quickly they learned the songs. They sang “Love Can Build a Bridge” and did the sign language to the chorus flawlessly. They sang it while we were saying good bye about 45 minutes later. Cindy left them a CD of many of the songs we sang and danced to together. A few children came up and gushed about what great songs these are. “These are the best songs we ever knew in English,” one said to me. These seem like little seeds we left behind. It was hard to say good bye. We connected so easily. They seemed so happy that we came. Some of that music will live on here. It will probably grow and change over time like a humpback whale song. But I think it will live on. Whenever we sing any of these songs at church I will remember this time in Rwanda.

Her hug was beautiful, a reminder of why we had come to Rwanda.


As we were leaving the chapel a very old woman was sort of wandering around inside. She was talking to herself. I thought she was praying. One of the teachers told me (loud enough for the old woman to hear) that she was crazy and that sometimes she came in and wouldn’t leave the church. She came up to me after the children had gone back to their school and we were packing up. She spoke to me in Kinyrwanda. The adults from the school said that she doesn’t make any sense. The teachers seemed nervous, as if she might be offending me or putting me off. They wanted her out so they could lock up. I stuck out my hand for a handshake and she looked surprised. She hesitated but then she took my hand warmly. I gave the kind of handshake that signals respect. She immediately fell into an embrace with me. She was so incredibly thin, Heidi. She hadn’t bathed in a long time. She seemed so fragile, almost brittle. She hugged me fiercely. I asked the people from the school, who were clearly uncomfortable, if I could give her some money. They reluctantly said it would be all right. I gave her 5,000 francs (about $9.00). It felt like the best money I ever spent. I sort of put my arm around her waist and we walked out together. I was another of those special moments that I will always treasure. It was God.



No comments: