Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Farewell to Sonrise



Another full day so far. We got up and intended to leave around 11:00 for Kigali but ended up going back to Sonrise one last time. I bought a large skin drum for the church. The one they had was very worn out. The money I spent for the drum went to the Mother’s Guild. We stopped on the way and Cindy bought a pretty nice stereo for the school as well. Midori and Portia bought another drum so we took them up to the school. I was thinking we were just going to drop them off. Joy, the business manager, asked us to come in to the school to “receive thanks”. It was break time so the kids lined up and listened while the principal extolled our virtues. It was a little uncomfortable but we did have more informal time with the kids. That feels amazing. Everyone wants to make contact. Shaking hands, hugs, fists, high fives. We helped them set up the stereo in the dining hall and listened to “Love Can Build A Bridge”. It was nice to know that we left something that they will use and appreciate and enjoy. We also left them a bunch of money just for their general needs. Joy was warm and very appreciative and I’m sure she will see to it that the money is spent wisely and well.



I saw little Sophia again. We sort of sought each other out. She blessed me and wished me safe travels. She blessed you and our boys and said that she would pray for me “in Jesus’ name”. I have her name and student number and I would like to write to her when I get back. She introduced me to lots of her classmates and her best friend, Sonia. They were so sweet together. They held hands when we were chatting and their arms were around each other’s waists when they walked away. I shall always remember them just that way. Holding hands is a common and lovely sight here. Everyone holds hands (man-man, woman-woman, and especially children). Brandon got a picture of two soldiers walking down the street, large guns slung over their shoulders, holding hands.

No comments: