Saturday, September 8, 2007

Virunga Park

Cindy and Anoclet at Virunga



At the park today we were with a cool group of people. Cindy, her step-son Brandon, two others from our party (Midori and Portia). Three Germans came with us as well. The others in our group Immaculee, Tim Van Damm, Tina and Nancy as well as Richard went in another car to a different part of the park. Amazing.

We spent an entire hour hanging out with five or six gorillas. The thing is… I didn’t want to have that experience without you. I don’t regret coming. I will get the most out of this trip. But I so miss being with you. One of my biggest lessons from this trip is that your presence in my life has been the single most important part of me.

The trip to get to the park was one of the most bizarre experiences of my life. [The car wreck - maybe I'll write about this later]

When we got there we headed down a fairly long winding muddy path through farm country on the edge of the rainforest. It was about an hour walk. Not steep exactly but uphill. Overcast, cool, wet.

It was a little spooky at first. Lots of people hanging around the station. Some of the men there used to be poachers and now they carry backpacks, water, etc. for people who can’t make the trek unaided. Many of the men had unfriendly looks.

We left there and our guide (Anoclet: ann oh klet) was wonderful. He truly loved his job and these gorillas. As we walked he often stopped to talk about the vegetation and the community’s role in maintaining the park and vicinity.

No comments: